Monday, February 2, 2015

To Don't List

Today, I had plans. My plans did not go exactly the way I thought they would.

Last night I made a "To Do List" because my unsurpassable procrastination skills have been making it exceedingly difficult to focus on studying for my exams. 

I started it off with some easy tasks to get the ball rolling because mornings are hard and to be completely honest, I'm not very good at them.

Here's a look at my super exciting To Do List that I wrote sometime very late last night when I was feeling exceptionally ambitious.


Just in case it's hard to read....

Things You Should Probably Do:
  • Get out of bed 
  • food
  • Gym
  • More food
  • Shower!!!
  • Chemistry
  • More chemistry
  • Food 
  • even more chemistry
  • (study w/ people?)
  • Dinner
  • CHEMISTRY (no TV)
  • k fine, TV
  • food/Sleep? (you'll figure it out)
Not too crazy and definitely some attainable goals. 

I woke up to the patronizing sound of my alarm clock, immediately hit snooze and did my best to fall back asleep. 

Remember when I said that I wasn't great at mornings? Well, some time between hitting snooze and trying to fall back asleep I lost my phone amidst my warm and cozy blankets. 

The alarm rang again and I reached over to snooze it only to discover that I had no clue where the phone had gone. I frantically began to search for it as the volume increased, alerting everyone in the neighborhood to the fact that I had failed at the first task on my list.

Pillows and blankets went flying as I continued the search for my phone. I got out of bed and desperately started to shake out my blankets. My phone landed on the rug just as the alarm stopped ringing. I quickly shut off the alarm and then begrudgingly checked off the fist thing on my list.

Not in the best of moods but most certainly out of bed, I grabbed a granola bar and headed for the gym. 

My workout was pretty uneventful but on the way home I saw my landlord who informed me that she was on her way to find some kumquats so that she could make kumquat jam. According to her, kumquat jam is delicious and I really should try it some time. I promised that I would try and taste some jam and then wished her much luck on her quest for kumquats. 

Feeling pumped up from the gym and my exhilarating conversation about kumquats, I decided that I was ready to do something. I took a look at my list and was delighted to discover that the next task included food. 

I ate, showered, did laundry, painted my nails, ate some more and then remembered that I was supposed to be studying chemistry. 

There were some pitiful attempts to study and when I'd had quite enough of that, I decided that it was time for dinner.

I stuck my dinner into the toaster oven and while I was waiting for it to be ready, I figured I'd make a salad. I went to the fridge to get the lettuce where I noticed a box of cream sitting on the top shelf. There was a moment of internal debate as I reasoned that eating something covered in cream was ultimately healthier than eating salad. 

My mind made up I put water up to boil so that I could make rice pasta. While I was waiting for the water to boil I found a bar of chocolate that I had procured from The Freddie's on my last visit there. 

A few minutes later I sat down at the table with a mug of hot chocolate, picked up my fork and then realized that something wasn't right. 

The smell of slightly overcooked fish hung in the air as the timer on the toaster oven went "ding!".  I rescued the fish which as you may have guessed, was a tad "well done" but edible nonetheless. 

I finished my dinner and took a look at my list. I'm pleased to note that I was able to check off a lot of the things on my list. Most of which involved food and had little to do with studying.

Regardless, I will consider this a small victory on my journey to learning how to check things off of lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment