Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Accidental Racism And The War On Ants

You may remember from earlier posts that my apartment has a tendency to attract ants and some other creepy crawlies. I waged war against the ants and for a while, they stayed away.

Last week I realized that I had a few days between exams and decided to take advantage of the situation to go home and hang out with my family. Before leaving Ariel, I cleaned up my apartment and made sure not to leave anything remotely food related lying about.

Things in The Sun House was pretty much the same as they had been the last time I was home. I played some Xbox with my bros, ate lots of food (mainly ice cream) and just generally tried to avoid studying. It was a great mini-vacation but unfortunately, like all good things, it was forced to come to an end.

Back in Ariel, unbeknownst to me, a truce had been broken.

After a lengthy journey I arrived at my apartment only to find chaos. I looked down at the floor and saw an army of ants marching across the floor. My first instinct was to panic. The second was to throw the nearest object, which happened to be a rather heavy book that I had left on top of my microwave.

The book landed on the floor with a satisfying THUD and caused the oncoming ants to scatter. I took a moment to asses the situation and determined that I was to tired to deal with it. I cleaned up as many ants as I could and went to sleep.

I spent the next day waging war on the ants and trying to ward off their retaliations. Amongst the chaos I forgot to set my alarm before going to bed and woke up a little late for my exam this morning.

While I was rushing to get ready I found what I assumed was a cockroach in my bathroom. Far to stressed to deal with the situation I dropped a container on top of it and ran out to get to my exam on time secretly hoping that it would have suffocated by the time I got back.

The exam went alright but in the back of my mind I kept seeing the creepy crawly trapped in a container in my bathroom. On my way home from the exam I stopped and bought a bottle of spray that supposedly kills ants, cockroaches and other creepy crawlies.

I got home and saw that the roach wasn't moving around much. I poked at the container and couldn't help but notice that the roach didn't really look like a roach and that it was actually just a beetle. Feeling slightly guilty at misjudging the critter based on the color of his shell, I took him outside and set him free in the garden.

After removing the beetle I set about trying to spray my apartment with the bug killing spray that I had just bought. The instructions were a little unclear and when I tried to pull off the tab that said "pull off tab" I somehow manged to get the trigger stuck and gave my cabinet doors and wall a very generous coating of spray.

I finally got the bottle under control and got the spray into what I hope are the right places. The spray left my apartment smelling delightful but a tad suffocating so I opened all the windows and escaped to the gym for a few hours.

So far its been about ten hours and I see no signs of ants. Today has been quite stressful and traumatic but I feel like I handled things pretty well and learned some important lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment