Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The Unsuspecting Passenger

After years of avoiding and pushing it off, I have finally begun the ever so tedious process of getting my drivers licence. This country sure doesn't make it easy.

Last week I went to take theory and passed (if only my finals at university could go by as smoothly!) and this week I had my first driving lesson. It was a bright and sunny afternoon as I stood in the sunshine anxiously awaiting for the driving instructor to pull up.

In the distance I saw a car with one of those triangles on top signifying that it was an instructors car. I briefly considered hiding behind a tree and letting them drive by without me but the tree wasn't very wide and it just looked like I was standing behind it to get out of the sun.

The car pulled up and I noticed that there was already a student in the drivers seat. I waved at the instructor and introduced myself. She smiled and gestured for me to get into the car. I happily started to make my way to the back seat of the car when the other student got out of the drivers seat and climbed into what I presumed was my seat.

I looked to the instructor for guidance and saw her patting the drivers seat. When she didn't make a move to get out of the car I succumbed to the inevitable and got into the drivers seat. I had spoken to a bunch of my friends before my lesson and they had all assured me that I probably wouldn't do much driving. They said that the instructor would probably drive me to an empty parking lot to point out the different car parts and maybe let me drive in a straight line.

The instructor began to point out the important things in the car that I would supposedly need in order to drive and I relaxed a little bit thinking that my friends were right, I probably wouldn't have to drive. When she was done explaining she asked if I had understood and mentioned that we had to get the other student home. I nodded enthusiastically and opened the door to get out of the car so we could switch spots.

Before I managed to get out of the car, the instructor asked me where I was going and told me to sit back down. I sat back down, and put on my seat belt. The instructor told me to adjust the seat and mirrors. When I looked up into the mirror I saw the student in the back looking a little uncertain, I didn't blame her.

And thus began the drive to the other students house on the other side of town. I'm pretty sure she wished she had walked.

We got there without too much trouble. The instructor has total control over the car from her seat so I mostly pretended to control the wheel and played with the blinkers.

After dropping the other student off we turned around and drove back to my apartment to drop me off. I happily relinquished control of the drivers seat and went on my merry way.

All in all, not the worst experience (although it is a rather costly one!). Hopefully the process continues to go smoothly and next year I'll be able drive myself to whatever hospital I get put in!

No comments:

Post a Comment