Friday, June 17, 2016

The Trials And Tribulations Of Traffic Circles

I'd like to take a moment to share my feelings about traffic circles...

I don't get them.

My driving instructor has gone to great lengths to try and explain them to me, including drawing some diagrams and raising his arms in frustration and despair almost every time I unsuccessfully try and use one. But I just can't seem to figure them out.

The idea is simple enough in itself. You slow down as you approach the circle and if there are no cars coming at you, you enter the circle and somehow maneuver the wheel in a complex series of twists and turns to magically get the car to come out of the circle where you want it to.

I've discovered that the most important part of this delicate procedure is to NOT use the blinkers (or as my Israeli driving instructor likes to call them, winkers). Using the blinkers helps the other drivers know where you want to go and we can't have them knowing that because apparently, its a secret.

Aside from my difficulty using traffic circles, driving lessons are going all right. I've been told that learning how to drive is a bit of a learning curve.

Between you and me, I'm just glad that its not a traffic circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment