Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Adventures In Adulthood: An Interrogation And An Interview.

A couple of days after applying to university I got a call from the school inviting me to an interview. Z had some errands to run in ariel so he gave me a lift to the school and showed me which building to go to. I found the room and sat down to await my turn. I was the only one waiting and I began to wonder if I was waiting in the right place when another person showed up. The women sat down next to me and wasted no time in getting to know me.

Random Lady: "So, which other programs did you apply for?"
Me: "Uhhhh, just this one"
{Random Lady graces me with a look of shock and disbelief.}
RL:"But what if you don't get into this program?! I applied for three others just in case..."
Me: "I dunno, I hadn't really thought that far ahead. I guess I'll just have to find something else to do..."
RL: "Why did you apply for university?"
Me: "It seemed like a good idea at the time."
{Random Lady seems unimpressed with my answer and proceeds to tell me more than I ever wanted to know about her life.}
RL:"I rushed into school when I was your age. But then, I realized that it wasn't what I wanted to do with my life... I'm married now with three children and I know now that this is what I want to do with my life!" {proceeds to gaze purposefully into the distance.}
RL continues: "Both my sisters are nurses. I'm certain that this is my path in life."
Me:"I'm glad you found your calling."
{I try to give her an encouraging smile and then busy myself with answering some highly time sensitive nonexistent messages on my phone}
RL continues to stare at me intently....
RL: "So, tell me more about you."
Me: "Well, my parents always taught me not to talk to strangers!"
RL: "Whaa?"
{The interviewer shows up and calls my name}
I wave goodbye to Random Lady and hurry into the room for my interview which went much more smoothly than Random Lady's interrogation.

No comments:

Post a Comment