Monday, June 9, 2014

Dumpster Diving And Wild Parties

It's been a while since the last time I posted and lots of stuff has happened... I won an award, danced in a music video, spent time with my friends and family and at some point drove out to the middle of nowhere to apply for the nursing program at Ariel University.

That last part might surprise some of you, and with good reason. I've never been a model student and the nicest thing my teachers had to say about me at parent teacher conferences was "Oh, does she still go here?" (at some point in tenth grade I deluded myself into thinking that attendance was more optional than mandatory. A theory that I held with unwavering faith throughout my high school years).

Nonetheless, I applied.

While I was awaiting a reply from the university, I kept myself busy on all sorts of adventures. I spent a shabbos at my friend Sea's house. A quiet shabbos walk turned into an impromptu dumpster raid when we saw a nice looking mirror leaning against a dumpster about five minutes from her house. They just so happened to be in dire need of a mirror and being the gracious guests that we are, Em and I dragged it back to her house as a (belated) housewarming gift.

The rest of the days passed in a blur, work, shavuot, more work and then shabbos again. Before I knew it, it was time for the big party.


It was fun and exciting but mainly, it was loud. There was a big stage (which thank hashem I didn't actually have to go up on) where they announced all of the people and stores that won awards. Our little store won the award for the best Gap store of the year despite only being open for three months. Our manager went up on the stage to collect our trophy and prize.
Then they read off all of the names of the star employees (and there were a lot of them!) and handed out fancy looking papers with our names on them.

When the ceremony was over some Israeli artist performed for us. I have no idea who he was but everyone else seemed to be really excited about it. The rest of the night passed by with lots of music, dancing and screaming. I learned that taking pictures of flailing dancing people in a semi dark room with wildly flashing strobe lights is not an easy task(hence the lack of pictures....).

I made it home early in the morning and got a couple of hours of sleep before waking up for a morning shift (lucky me!). Thankfully work was quiet and I mostly stood around contemplating all of the useful things that I could do until my shift ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment