Monday, June 24, 2013

Impromptu Babysitting

I spent most of the morning attempting to study. I say attempting because today it's really not my fault that I can't concentrate. The plumber showed up at around 9:30 and has been steadily making noise while ripping out assorted parts of the bathroom since then. Additionally, my sisters babysitter was unable to watch my niece today so we've had the pleasure of entertaining her.
I've been hiding in my room desperately trying to convince myself that math is just as fun as playing with my niece for the last 3 hours. Personally, i'm not buying it. 
I figured I may as well try and go over some of the material since i'm stuck in my tower anyway. 
While I was going over one of the subjects, the theme of the questions really jumped out at me. Here is a rough translation of a couple of them(my course is all in hebrew..):

Robert the bartender is experimenting with new drinks. If he mixes 9 liters of tequila at 20% concentration with 1 liter of rum at 70% concentration, what will the concentration of Roberts new drink be? 

The average percentage of alcohol in a cocktail made of vodka, rum and gin is 26%. If the percentage of alcohol in the vodka is 50%, what is the average percentage of alcohol in the gin and rum?

If you ever thought to yourself back in high-school "what's the point of learning all this math? when am I going to use this stuff in real life?" then here is your answer. These real life scenarios can be easily applied to many situations. I would like to take a moment to thank my course for choosing situations that the majority of the students can really relate to, and for giving me tools that I can use out there in the real world. Should the occasion arise where I must determine the percentage of alcohol in a cocktail, I'll be fully prepared. Then again I could always just drink the cocktail and find out that way, granted its not quiet as accurate as the other method but I think i'm okay with that. 

It's getting late and I have a practice test in an hour and a half so I suppose it's safe to stop 'studying' now. I'm gonna go find some ice cream to eat because I think that I earned it, 'studying' is hard work. 
I guess this is bye for now.

1 comment:

  1. Car stuck? Whaaa?!
    Looks like we missed the fun day of the week already.

    ReplyDelete