Sunday, June 30, 2013

The Great Fishing Contest of Sala-ma-sond

I don't really have much to write about today, my test is on thursday and I spent the entire morning studying (shocking, I know). I didn't want to leave you with nothing so I decided to share a story that I found a while back when I was cleaning my room.
The story is part of an assignment about children's literature that I did when I was in 9th grade.
Part of the assignment was writing a sequel to the book, the message of the sequel had to be the same as the one in the original story(I picked the book Yertle the Turtle..).
and now without further ado, I give you the story of The Great Fishing Contest of Sala-ma-sond.


On the far away island of Ikker-mic-plop lived an old fisherman named Mr. Micphlopp. Mr. Mcphlop lived in a little cottage near the edge of the sea right near the giant picklenut tree. Everyday Mr. Micphlopp would 
sit in his boat out on the sea under the shade of the picklenut tree.

One day just as Mr. Micphlopp was dozing off he heard a funny noise and looked up, he saw a little green boat coming his way. Mr. Micphlopp did not like it when people woke him up so he stood up and hollered "who is that in the little green boat disturbing my day?" the man in the little green boat yelled back "call me Ishmael. I'm on my way to see my uncle jack, because you see I am the greatest fisherman that there could ever be". Mr. Micphlopp got very confused and said "sir Ishmael you must be mistaken for that position by me has already been taken" Ishmael laughed and said "well then come to the fishing contest at sala-ma-sond and we shall see who the kind of the fisherman shall be".

So Mr. Micphlopp and Ishmael sailed away and arrived at the pond the very next day. There were five contestants in all, Mr. Micphlopp, Ishmael, Fisherman Freddie, Jacob, and Max. Jacob and Max came from the hills beyond sala-ma-sond, Fisherman Freddie was from fish-a-lot-pond, Mr. Micphlopp came from Ikker-mic-plop, and Ishmael did not.

All the contestants went for a walk and while they were walking they began to talk. Each had a story about their biggest fish and each claimed to be the best fisherman in the world. They were walking along when they came across a turtle stuck in a bush. The turtle looked around and asked for some help but the fishermen 
were too busy fighting about who was the best so no one did help.

The fishermen decided that it was time to go. As they turned around to take their leave the turtle said "wait Let me tell you a story about a selfish turtle named Yertle. Yertle used to be king of this pond he was the ruler of sala-ma-sond, but Yertle the turtle decided that he wanted to be the ruler of all. He wanted to rule everything from the grass to the trees to my old uncle's knees. Yertle the turtle was greedy and always wanted more, he would not listen to us and thought only of himself. They say that it was because he was so selfish that he fell to the floor, and so Yertle the turtle is king no more. That is the story of Yertle my friends
learn from its' moral, it's not too late to make amends.

Four of the fisherman walked off in a huff, for the story of Yertle they believed was a bluff. But Ishmael the fisherman thought for a while and then he helped free the turtle with a big smile. The turtle whose name was mack said "thank you, kind sir" and put on his hat. Ishmael said good bye and raced back to his boat for the contest was about to begin, but Ishmael no longer cared who would win.

Mr. Micphlopp told his grandson named Tim. On the day of the contest Ishmael did learn, to be happy with what he had and for more not to yearn. I too learned a very important lesson that day, the fun isn't in winning it's in how you play.
The End.

I hope you enjoyed my story. :) 
I'm off to do another practice test! 4 more days!!!!! :)

1 comment: