Friday, September 20, 2013

Jimbo

This years sukka comes fully equipped with a fan, water cooler, bug zapper, and comfy chairs.
The Freddies came for chag and dinner in our fancy sukka was as delicious as it was enjoyable. 
Thankfully there was no repeat of last years bug zapper fiasco wherein we saved a critter named Jim from the jaws of death using a trusty pair of salad tongs. 
The Bug Zapper Fiasco:
Jim was a praying mantis with a death wish, he tried to fly into the bug zapper multiple times but was to big to fit. On his second or third try he managed to get a few of his legs stuck in the outer layer of the zapper and spent twenty minutes or so waiting for his inevitable death while my little brother cried in the corner. After twenty minutes of staring at the critter in shock and dismay, my father decided that we had better do something. He approached the zapper, salad tongs in hand, and tried to pry Jim from the metal grate of death. The salad tongs eventually won the fight, Jim fell to the table with a thud as my father let out a manly shriek. The rest of us crowded around waiting to see what would happen. Jim lay motionless on the table, completely unaware of the chaos that he had created. 
We poked him several times and noted that he had lost a leg in battle but still, no change. We waited a few more minutes but it was obvious that he was no longer with us, we said good bye and went back to clearing the table. We were about to go inside when good ol' Jim started to show signs of life, it was a sukkot miracle! We found him a nice leaf to live on and then went inside to get some sleep.

Lori&co joined us for lunch along with another family from the next neighborhood over. The fan provided us with a nice breeze throughout the meal despite the seventeen people that were crowded around the tables. 
After lunch was over and the other family had said their good byes and headed home we went inside to enjoy the AC. Buzzy and the little munchkin ran wild and Oscar did his best to keep up with them. We played many games including "screech at the terrified cats(and maybe even pull some fur out)", dump the peas on the floor", and Oscars personal favorite "lick the small human in the face". 
The afternoon passed by rather quickly and we were saying good bye to everyone before we knew it.

Lori&co decided to go to Ikea this morning and offered to let me tag along with them. My mom gave me her list and sent me on my merry way. The place was packed but we managed to find all of the stuff that we wanted (and more). Z got some grub while Lori and I checked out, we ate in the little "eating area" before heading out to load up the car. The drive home was short and they dropped me off at my house with my goodies in tow. 

Now I'm sitting here smelling the delicious food that's being cooked for shabbos and wondering why I haven't eaten any lunch. I think it's time to scavenge for leftovers help clear out the fridge to make room for more food. After all, I'm nothing if not helpful. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment