Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Adventures In Adulthood: Job Hunting

I've heard that job hunting is no fun.

On Sunday I went to my sisters house to get some help with putting together a resume. The job proved more challenging than originally anticipated (mainly due to lack of content) but eventually she managed to put together a rather nice looking page for me.

Excited to begin my adventures in job hunting, I sent my resume out to a couple of places not really expecting many answers. To my surprise, one of the places answered me about 5 minutes later. After a couple of emails we set up an interview for the following morning.

The crowds cheered at the news and I was reminded that I shouldn't be surprised if I didn't get the job and that there are plenty of other jobs out there waiting to be taken. We talked about failed interviews and the woes of the unemployed and frankly, I was excited to have an opportunity to grumble and complain with them.

The next morning I went to my interview armed with the wise words of wisdom from my friends and family. In full disclosure, the interview wasn't great. My quietness and very obvious american name were noted and commented on. I did my best to assure them that my bad ass english skills were an asset in a mainly english speaking city but they didn't seem impressed. At the end of the interview they said that they weren't sure that I was exactly what I was looking for but that they would call me with an answer by the end of the day.

In a surprising turn of events, I got a call later that afternoon and was told to be in Tel Aviv this morning at 9am. The thrilling news was met by further cheers from my family members (but mainly from my very relieved father).

This morning I woke up bright and early to catch the 7:08 train to Tel Aviv. I got to the mall an hour early (at my family's insistence that "the earlier, the better") and found a nice chair to sit on for 40 minutes. At 8:50 I wandered over to the store and discovered that it was still closed.

Eventually I saw someone in the store and knocked on the window nearly giving the poor woman a heart attack. After recovering from the shock, she let me into the store. I was sent down to the sketchy underbelly of Azrieli to the office where I filled out what felt like a million papers. Halfway through the mountain of paperwork, the other girls arrived. Everyone filled out their papers and then we all got badges with our names on them and employee cards.

 The rest of the day was spent wandering around the store pretending like we knew what we were doing (spoiler alert: I had no idea what I was doing but following my fathers sagely advice, I smiled until my face hurt and then smiled some more.). When I wasn't smiling like an escaped mental patient, I was "organizing" the store. My mad folding/organizational skills came in handy and I got a whole bunch of compliments on my side of the store.

My job hunting lasted all of one day and I can't help but feel like I've missed out on a unique opportunity to sit around and complain (which in typical jew fashion, is one of my favorite past times) but somehow, I think I'll manage to survive.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think its time for me to go watch TV and maybe eat some ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment