Thursday, July 10, 2014

Accidental Shoplifter

Work tonight was slow and boring so my manager sent me into the back to reorganize the entire machsan. Since it was so quiet, she decided to run over to the seamstress for a minute to pick up a skirt that she had dropped off yesterday for an alteration.

I had just climbed up to the top of the ladder when I heard a siren go off. I climbed back down and ran into the store with my arms flailing in an attempt to get everyone's attention. Loud music plays in the store throughout the day and drowns out the sound of the sirens so it makes things a little complicated. The flailing arms garnered the attention of my coworker and after yelling "azaka" (siren) at her she sprung to action and helped me herd the confused customers out of the store.

Outside of the store the siren blared and we all made a run for the closest safe area. We slid in just as we heard the first boom. There were several more booms and the walls shook a little. After five minutes of silence we deemed it safe enough to return to the store. 

Some overeager customers had beat us there and were already waiting by the cash register. Our manager arrived about thirty seconds later with her skirt in her hand and her cellphone ringing ever so persistently. Apparently she was getting ready to pay when the siren went off and accidentally "stole" the skirt in her panic to find a safe area. 

When the siren stopped and things seemed calm she opted to check on us before going back upstairs to pay for the skirt. My manager answered her phone and did her best to assure the seamstress that she would be there to pay just as soon as she was done checking up on us. The seamstress was clearly unconvinced and consoled herself by relentlessly calling my managers phone to demand her money.

Satisfied that we were fine and the store was still in one piece, my manager went to pay the poor seamstress the twenty five shekel that she owed her.

The rest of the shift was quiet and I got most of the machsan reorganized.

Here's to hoping the rest of the night stays as boring and uneventful as the end of my shift! 

No comments:

Post a Comment